On Wednesday evening around 100 Year 7 students, along with their parents, attended an interactive webinar focussed on the study skills essential for high school. Dr Matthew Hill, Director of The Barker Institute, drew on research and Barker-specific expertise to present hard-hitting facts about the way that the brain works and how to maximise study success despite our busy lives.
The session, hosted by James Denton (Head of Middle School) and Kath Driver (Dean of Year 7), covered six talking points, each of which included time for parents and students to discuss how the information impacted them along with their decisions, planning and actions. The purpose was to bring parents and students together, that they may be on the same page and pursuing study success as a team, using the best available information as a guide.
Talking points included:
- Location, location, location
- Scheduling for success (a blank Homework Planner Dr Hill used is available for download below)
- The why and how of using a diary
- Different types of study
- Maximising memory (and how learning continues in your sleep!)
- Momentum: Show up and start!
Resources from the presentation are available at the links below.
- Powerpoint presentation
- Barker families have access to study skills from Enhanced Learning Educational Services. To access the handbook, go to www.studyskillshandbook.com.au and login details were provided during the live Webinar. You can also contact the Barker Institute for the login details.
- Barker Re-imagined dates
- Blank Homework Planner
- Year 7 Assessment Manual